The building was constructed between 1884 and 1886 based on the design by architect Konstantin Jovanovich. He was a Bulgarian architect who had studied in Vienna and Switzerland, and he was also known for his design of the Serbian Assembly (1891-1892). The architecture of the building is characterized by a neo-Renaissance style. Over the years, the interior has undergone several renovations, but the fundamental appearance has been preserved. In 1925, an addition was made on the side facing the “Saint Alexander Nevsky” square, which accommodates corridors, offices for parliamentary representatives, the archive, and the library of the National Assembly.