Home » Landmarks » Cityscape » Central Mineral Baths

Central Mineral Baths


The Central Mineral Baths in Sofia were constructed between 1905 and 1910, replacing a Turkish bath that had existed until the early 20th century. The architectural concept for the new building was developed by architects Petko Momchilov and Friedrich Grünanger. The facades of the baths are adorned in the national-romantic style, a hallmark of early 20th-century Bulgarian architecture and considered one of its pinnacles.

Recognized as a cultural monument of national importance in 1955, the baths served their original purpose until 1988. Following years of abandonment, the Sofia Municipal Council decided in 1998 to repurpose the building as the Museum of the History of Sofia.

Between 1998 and 2008, extensive architectural construction and restoration efforts were undertaken to transform the structure into a museum. However, as of the latest available information, the building has not yet been opened to the public for visits.

Did we get something wrong? Contact us!