The church “St. Petka Samardzhiyska” is situated in the heart of Sofia, specifically in the underpass of “St. Nedelya” square, near the entrance to the “Serdika” metro station. Dedicated to the great martyr Petka of Iconium, the church has a history dating back to the 11th century and was constructed on the remnants of a Roman cult building. The frescoes that adorn its interior were painted at the end of the 15th and the beginning of the 16th century.
Throughout the Ottoman rule, the maintenance of the church “St. Petka Samardzhiyska” was entrusted to the guild of Samardjiys in Sofia, from which it derived its name. While there is a hypothesis suggesting that the revolutionary Vasil Levski (1837-1873) might have been reburied in the church, this claim remains unconfirmed. Nevertheless, many people still hold the belief that the mortal remains of the great Bulgarian were laid there. The church remains active and observes its temple holiday on October 28, known as St. Petka’s Day.