Home » Landmarks » Historical sites » A landmark of the main astronomical point

A landmark of the main astronomical point

Historical sites

The primary astronomical point of the state triangulation of Bulgaria was erected in 1920 under the auspices of the Geographical Institute, operating within the Ministry of War. Subsequently, in 1930, the geodetic and longitudinal coordinates were meticulously established by the esteemed Bulgarian scientist, Academician Vladimir Hristov (1902-1979). Hristov accomplished this feat through bilateral observations conducted in collaboration with the Prussian Geodetic Institute situated in Potsdam.

Moreover, between 1957 and 1958, further advancements were made as the Bulgarian astronomical point was integrated into a network that linked it with the primary astronomical points of Poland, Romania, and Hungary. This interconnected system expanded the scientific and geodetic collaborations across multiple nations, fostering a broader scope of geographical research and enhancing the accuracy of astronomical observations within the region.

Did we get something wrong?Contact us!