The Church of “St. George of Sofia the Newest” holds a poignant history within the grounds of Alexandrovska Hospital. Its construction was made possible through the collective effort of doctors, patients, priests, citizens, and business organizations, who contributed their voluntary labor and funds to bring this project to life.
The initiative for a hospital chapel emerged in 1913, but it wasn’t until 2007 that the idea was finally realized. In 2013, efforts were made to adorn the chapel with iconography, furnishings, and church utensils. A significant addition came in the form of a church bell cast in 1933, preserved from being melted down and stored within the hospital. With the assistance of “Glavbolgarstroy Holding,” the bell, once a museum exhibit, now rings again for its intended purpose.
The chapel remains open on weekdays from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Periodic services, prayers, water consecrations, confessions, and communion at the bedside of patients are conducted by Father Radoslav Vutov from the “St. George the Victorious” church in Sofia, following the decision of the Sofia Metropolis. This spiritual sanctuary provides solace and comfort to both patients and visitors within the hospital grounds.