The National Library of the Republic of Bulgaria is the largest library in the country and the oldest cultural institute in post-liberation Bulgaria. It was established in 1879 on the idea of the Sofia teacher Mihail Bobotinov. The construction of the building began in 1939, but it was destroyed during the bombing in 1944. The current building was opened in 1953. The facade decorations are the work of the sculptor Mihailo Parashchuk.
In the garden in front of the library, a magnificent monument to the brothers Cyril and Methodius – the creators of the Slavic script – was built. The large amount of extremely valuable and diverse in nature collections of the “St. St. Cyril and Methodius” National Library, including over 7,000,000 volumes, make it the most important and largest book depository on the territory of Bulgaria, and one of the most important and rich libraries in the Balkans. Monument of culture since 1978.
Sofia, 88 Vasil Levski Blvd