Home » Bulgaria » 100 National Tourist Sites » Archaeological Museum, Nessebar

Archaeological Museum, Nessebar

100 National Tourist Sites

The old town is only 850 m long and 350 m wide. During the various periods of its existence, it lost 1/3 of its territory, which sank into the sea. Remains of its fortress walls can still be seen underwater about 80 m from the shore.
Until today, only the Western fortress wall with the gate, which defended the city from the land side, has been preserved.

For the first time, the city was included in the boundaries of the Bulgarian state in 812, when Khan Krum conquered the city and Slavs and Bulgarians settled in it. For a longer time, Nessebar – as the Slavs call it – was again in Bulgarian hands during the years of the reign of Tsar Simeon the Great.

From the era of the Bulgarian Renaissance, many houses have remained in Nessebar – typical representatives of the Black Sea house type, part of the many windmills, baths and fountains that worked in the city. Since the end of the last century, Nessebar has been a small town whose main livelihood is fishing and agriculture – mainly viticulture and flax production. Since 1959, after the construction of the “Sunny Beach” resort complex, international tourism has been actively developing in the city and its surroundings.

Archaeological research on the Nessebar peninsula and its water area over the past four decades has revealed rich collections of significant cultural monuments illustrating the history of ancient Mesambria and medieval Nessebar. A large part of them are exhibits in the new Archaeological Museum of Nessebar. The museum was opened in 1994. The exhibition area includes a lobby and 4 halls.

The Archaeological Museum in Nessebar was established in 1956 and its first exhibition was arranged in the church of “St. John the Baptist”. In its new building, built especially for a museum according to the project of arch. Hristo Koev, he moved in 1994. The exposition “Nessebar through the ages” is arranged here, which presents numerous cultural monuments illustrating the history of ancient Mesambria and medieval Nessebar. The exhibition area of the museum includes a lobby and four halls: First hall – “Mesambria and the Thracians”; second hall – “The Pontic polis Messambria; third hall – Mesembria in the borders of Rome, Byzantium and Bulgaria”; icon hall.

A worthy place in the lobby is occupied by the Diploma certifying the entry of Old Nessebar in the List of World Cultural Heritage Monuments. This happened on December 9, 1983, at the VII session of the World Heritage Committee, held in Florence, Italy.

Work time:

9:00-13:00, 14:00-17:00
Saturday Sunday-10-17 with lunch break 13-14.h;

9:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00
Saturday and Sunday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. with a lunch break.
Saturday and Sunday – holidays (upon prior request from groups, the museum and other museum sites in the Old Town open their doors.)

Entrance fees:
Regular ticket: BGN 6;
Reduced: children/ students/ pensioners: BGN 3;
Group tickets: Adults: BGN 5; Children: BGN 2.50;

Address: city of Nessebar, 2a “Mesambria” street
+359 554 4 60 19
+359 554 4 60 12 +359 554 4 22 60+359 878 402 913

Did we get something wrong? Contact us!